Sunday, May 8, 2016

I Won't Relent!

Oh, how often we sings songs never taking a moment to reflect on what those songs are really saying.  Now, please tell me that I am not the only person who does this! How often I have sung along at church, not because I desire to praise God, but simply for the fact that I don't want to get into trouble or be judged.
We sing doctrine rich songs, not as nourishment for our soul and for the souls of others, but simply for the fact we enjoy the melody. This is a selfish way to look at music.
Music--or more to the point Christian Music--was designed to get a point across. It is meant for us to reflect upon the meaning as the lyrics get stuck into our heads.

Let's walk together through a song and gaze upon the depths of the lyrics. The song that I have chosen is "Won't Relent" by Jesus Culture.

I set you as a seal upon my heart, as a seal upon my arm

A seal is not something that is put onto documents lightly. A seal takes the place of a signature, saying, "I take responsibility for this!" Now, setting Jesus as your seal is the same as saying you are representing Jesus, and that what you are doing is on his behalf. Think about the implications! Setting Jesus as a seal means that everything you do now is not for your own sake, but for Jesus's sake and the sake of the Gospel. Similar to a brand, a seal is not something that goes away. It is saying that you are Jesus' representative on earth.

For there is love that is as strong as death
Jealousy demanding as the grave
And many waters cannot quench this love

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, not depth, nor anything else in all of creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8: 38-39)

Come be the fire inside of me
Come be the flame upon my heart...
Until You and I are one

Many times Jesus has been compared to an eternal fire within a person. 1 Peter 1:6-7 reads, "In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."
Jesus/God being a "fire" isn't something that we should take lightly either. If we want Jesus to be a fire in our souls, it means that he will burn everything but himself. That means you will face many trials, forcing you to choose Jesus or your sin nature.  In this song you are asking Jesus to put you through many trials until You and I are one. That means you are giving God permission to do anything he wants with your life until you die. That is also not a claim to be taken lightly.

I don't wanna talk about you like you're not in the room
Wanna I look right at you
Wanna sing right to you

Don't talk about Jesus like he is some relic from a past time--he is very much alive! Perhaps it's just me, but often the time I feel closest to God is when I am singing. There is just something in the music that a lecture can't capture. Maybe the emotion that comes with it. You can hear the anguish, passion, and hope in the songs. There will be thousands of people singing "Praise God" for a thousands different reasons, all in the same spirit. Music was meant to be something to unite the Church. Sadly we have turned it into a dividing faction for churches all around the world. We get caught up in the meaningless (the type of music) and forget the eternal (the meaning of the song). 

You won't relent until you have it all
My heart is yours

Whatever your relationship with Jesus right now, it's not good enough! Jesus is never satisfied with how well we know him, he wants us to learn more. We could study the Bible for a thousand years and still not know all there is to know about God. In the chorus of this song we cry, "my heart is Yours!" But have we really surrendered our full hearts to Jesus?
The surrendering of our hearts means forfeiting all that we are, and all that we have, to follow Jesus.  
It could cost you:
your social standing
your job
your family
your hobbies
your friends
and even your very life.

That is what surrender means. Are you ready to follow Jesus despite all it may cost you?

No comments:

Post a Comment